The famous Pacuare River flows alongside the 19 bungalows at Pacuare Lodge. Each bungalow is created with simple, natural design and décor that elegantly and luxuriously complements the surrounding jungle. There is no electricity in the rooms and, instead, the bungalows are beautifully illuminated by warm candlelight. Each room features Simmons Beauty mattresses, Egyptian cotton sheets, bathroom, safe and telephone to communicate with the main reception. Upgraded suites have additional amenities such as indoor and outdoor showers, private plunge pools, and private hanging bridge entrance through the rainforest canopy. Minimal electricity and Wi-Fi are available in the main reception office as well as an outlet to recharge small electronics.
Arriving and departing to/from the lodge is half the adventure with a multi-day rafting tour option available (which we recommend, especially the raft out as it’s longer with great rapids). The lodge also offers an abundance of day activities which include hikes to a local indigenous village, canopy zip-line, rappel, bird watching, waterfall hike, and sustainability tour. For a special treat, the Jawa Juu Spa provides a blissful sensory experience by using local, natural rainforest ingredients with various treatment options – massages, facials, and wraps. For dining, all meals are included with a farm-to-table menu using organically and locally grown produce from their own farm, called Las Nubes de Tuis. A superior wine selection and selection of spirits and liquors may also be purchased from the bar.
Special Notes: To visit Pacuare Lodge, guests must be in reasonably good shape and be 12-years or older. Guests that have had recent surgeries, are pregnant or are not physically fit are not able to stay at Pacuare Lodge. No special rafting skills or abilities are necessary and most guests are first-time rafters. You must also pack lightly (nothing larger than carry-on suitcase). Any additional luggage/baggage can be 1) stored at your San Jose hotel if you plan to return there or 2) stored by Pacuare Lodge at their warehouse.
- Located between Siquirres and Turrialba alongside the Pacuare River
- 19 bungalows with palm roofs, hardwood floors, and natural accents
- No electricity in bungalows and, instead, lit by warm candlelight (hot water for showering is available)
- Wi-Fi and electrical outlets available in reception
- 12-year age minimum
- All farm-to-table meals are included (alcohol extra)
- Free-form pool
- Restaurant, bar/lounge, and wine cellar
- Jaway Juu Spa
- National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World
- Conde Nast World Savers Award
- Level 5 CST certification (Certificate for Sustainable Tourism)
- Blue Flag from Costa Rica Ecological Blue Flag Program
- Mentioned by: Conde Nast Traveler, Conde Nast UK, Business World, Outside Magazine, The Independent UK, Financial Times UK, National Geographic, Outside Travel Guide, and Washington Post