After the Canopy Tower opened in 1999 the owner, Raul Arias de Para, immediately started looking for a location for his second hotel. Having spent much of his youth in the area at his father’s finca, which he later inherited, El Valle de Anton made perfect sense. In 2005 the Canopy Lodge was opened and it has been a leader in ecotourism ever since. Featuring just 12 rooms in two buildings, Canopy Lodge is an exclusive retreat in an already secluded location. The eight double and corner rooms feature twin double beds or one king bed, desk, ceiling fan, private bathroom, and a private balcony overlooking the tropical gardens and Rio Guayabo. The second building consists of the four single rooms which feature queen beds and floor to ceiling windows. None of the rooms at Canopy Lodge have air conditioning, but at 2,000 ft above sea level the climate is warm during the day and cool at night.
Much like the Canopy Tower in the Soberania National Park, the Canopy Lodge prides itself on nature tourism, especially birding. With a staff of first rate guides they can take you to several different local birding hot spots to see tanagers, motmots, hummingbirds, and the secretive Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo. Other tours available in the area include canopy zip-lining, horseback riding, hiking, waterfalls, and the famous artisan market. On the property itself you can enjoy the serenity of the babbling stream while you read a book on your balcony or take a dip in their all natural swimming hole – complete with a rope swing of course!
- Located in El Valle de Anton about one hour outside of Panama City
- Opened in 2005 by the same owner as the Canopy Tower
- Only 12 rooms total consisting of 8 double rooms and 4 single rooms
- All room feature ceiling fans, large windows, desk, balcony, and private bathroom
- Rates include breakfast, lunch, and dinner (wine included)
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the property
- 100% natural swimming pool with rope swings
- Hiking trails with waterfalls
- Observation Veranda with feeders is great for bird watching and photography
- Optional tours to Panama City, horseback riding, canopy zip-line and local markets
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence year after year
- Part of the award-winning Canopy Family